Cherry-Chip Oat Scones
My family loves scones and anything with oatmeal. I started with my basic scone recipe and added oat flour to increase the oat taste and texture, then included special ingredients you can find in every bite. Look for add-ins that harmonize with the mellow flavor of oats. —Amy Brnger, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1 tablespoon old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together first seven ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moistened. Stir in cherries, chocolate chips and pecans.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; pat into a 6-in. circle. Cut into 10 wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and oats.
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled scones in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each scone on high until heated through, 20-30 seconds.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 229 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.