Apple Cabbage Coleslaw
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makes90-95 (1/2-cup) servings
- 3 containers (16 ounces each) sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons ground mustard
- 4 to 5 pounds unpeeled tart apples, julienned
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large heads cabbage (3 to 4 pounds each), shredded
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Toss apples with lemon juice. Combine apples and cabbage; mix well. Just before serving, add dressing and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 36 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 9, 2016
My problem with this slaw may have been my own taste. I just didn't think there was enough "sauce" for 9 to 12 pounds of shredded cabbage with 4 lbs of apples. I thought the dressing for the slaw was wonderful so...I tried again and used the same measurements for the dressing but cut my slaw down to 2 heads of cabbage and 3 lbs of apples. I also only used 2 1/2 cartons of sour cream. Sorry to change this so much but I thought it was dry as did my family and...I'm an experimenter too. Love the apples added.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.