- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, mix the first 10 ingredients. Stir in pork, onion, green pepper and pineapple. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until pork is tender.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and broth until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice.
To make ahead: In a large resealable plastic freezer bag, combine the first 10 ingredients. Add pork, onion, green pepper and pineapple; seal bag, turn to coat, then freeze. To use, place filled freezer bag in refrigerator 48 hours or until contents are completely thawed. Cook as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sweet-and-Sour Pork
"While my kitchen was being refitted I was desperate to cook a tasty meal in my slow cooker. This fitted the bill perfectly and everyone loved it. I used fresh ginger and may try without all the white sugar next time . Really recommend and so simple to prepare."
"Really good...will make it again."
"Eiyse, should have been 5 stars. Thanks again."
"Made it yesterday .. served with brown rice...excellent......definitely make it again."
"Loved it! Added baby carrots."
"This sweet and sour was very good! I actually made mine with chicken breast cubes, cooked on high for 3 1/2 hours and added a few baby carrots. It was a little on the sweet side (I will use only brown sugar next time, but overall the flavors are great!"
"Excellent over rice!"
"My husband is a very big Chinese food fan and he loves sweet-and-sour chicken so I thought I would give the sweet and sour pork a try. My whole family loved it and I didn't change a thing to the recipe!"
"Very tasty! Next time, I'll make use less onion & cut the pineapple chunks in half, though."
"loved it! was actually home while cooking and the smell was mouthwatering. ..tried recipe because I had some leftover boneless pork chops from a budget package worked great definitely share at work for our hot bar..."