- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar french-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat 5 minutes; drain. In a large bowl, combine milk and soup. Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 cup cheese, peas and sausage. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Penne and Smoked Sausage
Sort By :
"very good; can't really taste the cheddar onions, which are expensive. Not sure why TOH persists in having inaccurate prep times. This one says 15 minutes; you can barely heat the water to boiling for the pasta in 15 minutes and the pasta takes 11-13 to cook. This takes at least 30 minutes to get in the oven; so 1 hour total. I would add more peas."
"I just baked this dish for dinner. Delicious! It was very easy. The only thing I did differently was omit the peas. My husband does not like peas but it was still good. Next time I think I will add broccoli instead!"
"This was super easy and delicious. My 4-yr old helped me put it all together. We didn't have cheesy fried onions, but substituted crumbled goldfish crackers and minced onions, like another commenter suggested. I could see this with chicken breast and a variety of veggies too. Great versatility!"
"This is a great, easy, tasty dish. I've made it twice in two weeks. The second time I didn't have the onions, so I added a tbsp of dried minced onions to the mix and subbed with crushed cheesy crackers, still delish! I also used a vegetable blend, either way this is a keeper."
"Excellent recipe!! Very easy to make and it tastes fabulous! The first thing my husband said when we walked in the door from a long day at work was, "dinner smells great!" as he walked over to where it was cooling on the stove he said, "it looks great too!". I did omit the peas though, my two toddlers aren't a huge fan of them. :) Thanks for sharing this! It's very simple and doesn't hurt your wallet to make it!"