Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
- 14 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Remove from the heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Drain shells and rinse in cold water. Stir the mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and salt into meat mixture. Spread 2 cups spaghetti sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Stuff each shell with about 1/4 cup meat mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed manicotti: 507 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1265mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Jun 9, 2019
Meat mixture was good, but none of us liked the spaghetti sauce addition. We're not used to jarred sauce, so that may have been the problem. It seemed easy to whip up, but it wasn't worth it.
May 28, 2018
This is such a great recipe. I thought the shells would be hard to stuff but the meat mixture was really easy to work with (I used 1.25 lbs of ground beef instead of the .75 called for in the recipe). This was wonderful and I will definitely put this in my regular recipe rotation.
Nov 24, 2017
Great recipe! Everyone really enjoyed it. I used ground beef instead of sausage because that is what I had. It was a great change up for pasta night.
Apr 30, 2016
Very good! My husband liked this a lot too. Great for 2 people. I divided into three small pans. We enjoyed one pan for dinner and I have two meals ready to go in the freezer!
Nov 22, 2015
Easy and delicious.
Oct 13, 2015
One big step saver, I do not boil the noodles. Follow the directions, add 1 cup of water to dish, cover and bake.
May 25, 2015
This is a good crowd-pleasing recipe. It is very cheesy and the cream cheese in the mixture is a nice touch. I made the recipe exactly as written as I am a true believer in not being critical of a recipe until you try it as written. However, since I'm not a huge fan of prepared spaghetti sauce I think a homemade tomato sauce would send this recipe over the top (if you have time to prepare it). Having said that - the recipe is very nice the way it is.
May 19, 2015
This recipe was fantastic. I will make this again soon. Easy and delicious!
May 4, 2015
I made this last night and it was incredible!! I did exactly per the recipe and had some extra meat left over after stuffing the 14 manicotti shells, so I just put it over the manicotti in the pan before baking since I didn't have any shells left. I will definitely make this again and again! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Feb 6, 2015
This is magnificent!!!!! I will definitely make it again. I have already been asked to share the recipe with 3 other people and I just made it two days ago! :) I did make one adjustment...I don't care for sausage so I just used hamburger. Awesome!!!