- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2/3 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 slices frozen garlic Texas toast
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon A.1. steak sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, garlic, thyme and 1/2 cup cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two oval patties.
- In a large skillet, cook burgers over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions.
- Drain burgers; set aside and keep warm. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return burgers to skillet; turn to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve burgers on toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Open-Faced Texas Burgers
Sort By :
Yes, It could be that you used extra lean ground beef. I've been trying to cut back on fats, but have found that burgers made with lean beef just don't taste like much. You really have to season them alot, and then they tend to come out pretty dry becaue of the lack of fat. Anyway, good luck!
Delicious Recipe! We make this in our house at least once a month. The corn side dish and redskinned mashed garlic potatos are excellent with this. I usually double the amount of sauce made at end of recipe to drizzle over potatos... Mmm.
was a hit at my house. easy to make flavorful and most of the ingredients are pantry staples at my house. can't wait to make this one again!!
I don't know what I did wrong - I reviewed the recipe again and I followed it exactly. The burger needed seasoning badly. I don't know if it's because I used extra lean ground beef, or what?! None of my family liked it very well, but they all liked the sauce. I think I'll do this sauce with my chipotle burgers next time. The garlic toast is a good idea, I like that, though.
Great recipe. I doubled it and even my son, who doesn't normally like hamburger, at his and wanted more. No leftovers with this one!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Burger Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Burger Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >