Open-Faced Pizza Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, mushrooms, sugar and oregano; mix well. Spoon onto buns; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To freeze for quick lunches later, place the split and toasted buns on a baking sheet. Spoon the meat mixture onto buns; freeze for 1 hour. Transfer to heavy-duty resealable plastic bags or airtight containers.
- To use frozen burgers: Thaw completely in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 205 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Mar 7, 2011
This was wonderfull, quick and easy and good. My whole family enjoyed.
Oct 30, 2008
My girlfriends mom used to make a similar recipe but the recipe is slightly different. She used SPAM with the ground beef, tomato soup and paste along with Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (preferably Crackerbarrel). I have since modified the recipe and use pizza sauce in mine sometimes for variation, throw in some sliced pepperoni. My daughter now makes these for her family.