Open-Faced Meatball Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. meatballs. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan. Add the pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun halves; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 275 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Apr 8, 2014
I did not really care for this recipe; but in all fairness I did make a lot of changes. I used ground sirloin instead of turkey and only bought 1 pound. I'm sure based on the other reviews that it would be much better if prepared as written.
Apr 24, 2012
This was really good!
Aug 22, 2011
my alltime favourite diet recipe,tastes fattening but it is noy.
Jun 8, 2011
my family and I love this recipe, I believe it is one of my sons favorite yet
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.