This kid-friendly recipe is one of my favorites. A Swedish co-worker passed it on to me when we worked together in Iowa.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 hamburger buns, split
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, green pepper, milk, mustard and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; shape into six patties.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter; top each with a patty. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 14-17 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 274 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Open Faced Hamburgers in Country Extra July 2007
Jun 23, 2010
Very quick and yummy, I added diced onion, and replaced the milk with A1 steak sauce. And I added garlic salt to the tops of the buttered buns. My family likes a lot of spicy flavor, and they all loved it!