Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, pepper, onion, egg whites and garlic. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 6 oval patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place remaining pizza sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high for 10-20 seconds or until heated through. Place patties on toast; top with sauce and cheese.
Freeze option: Place patties on waxed paper-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a freezer container; return to freezer. Freeze remaining pizza sauce in an airtight container. To use, cook frozen patties and pizza sauce as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160° for patties and for sauce to be heated through.
1 serving: 299 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.