Good food and memories are made in the kitchen. A recipe like this one that’s been passed down through generations is worth its weight in gold. In fact, this was my grandma’s; we all love it. —Nicholas King, Duluth, Minnesota
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, olives, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, pepper, onion, soup mix and 1/2 cup pizza sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 10-in. x 6-in. rectangle and place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; Spoon remaining pizza sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Reserve 2 slices meat loaf for Next Day Meat Loaf Pie recipe. Serve the remaining meat loaf. Yield: 6 servings plus leftovers.
Originally published as Old-World Pizza Meat Loaf in Simple & Delicious April/May 2012, p23
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-World Pizza Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review