Makeover Apple Bread Recipe
We're confident that anyone who tries this will be thrilled. The bread has a hearty texture and sweet, home-baked flavor, but none of the fat and calories. —Liz Titler, Madison, Ohio
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, sugar and walnuts; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 200 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC