Glazed Apple Pie Bars Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto bottom and up sides of pan; trim even with top edge.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan; place over filling. Brush edges with water or milk; pinch to seal. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Glazed Apple Pie Bars
Sort By :
I made a thicker glaze,tripled it and poured it over the entire pie! DELICIOUS!!!
The dough is a little difficult to work with but using the parchment to roll it between helps. These squares taste great though :)
YUMMY! This is just what I was looking for. Thank you for the really great recipe!!!!!
No stars ! Removing this recipe from my Recipe Box - No apple pie taste and not enough taste at all - followed the precise recipe... don't understand why it's getting such great reviews. Now I'm sorry I made these for teacher appreciation day tomorrow..