- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto bottom and up sides of pan; trim even with top edge.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan; place over filling. Brush edges with water or milk; pinch to seal. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bars. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Glazed Apple Pie Bars
Sort By :
"Have made this wonderful recipe since it came out in '02. Fantastic. Has always turned out beautifully. As with just about any recipe you can adjust spices and (usually) sweetener to taste. Types of apples vary in sweetness and texture, and some are better for baking than others. I certainly wouldn't delete this recipe- common sense would dictate an an adjustment as mentioned above to impart it with enough "apple pie taste" for each baker's tastes."
"Tastes just like apple pie, but smaller servings than pie, which is nice. I would recommend using Granny Smith apples to get around the sweetness and runniness others mentioned. My filling came out perfect, just like the photo. Definitely a keeper."
"perfect and easy"
"I am giving this recipe only 3 stars because overall it did not come together as a whole. There were elements to this dessert that did not turm out for me and I followed the exact recipe. My crust turned out perfect though and it was my first time making crust! The apple apple center was EXTREMELY sweet and cinnomony (I would recommend using less), and the center was extremely runny (as if it had never set up properly) when I cut into the next day after baking it. The center poured out of the crust. What went wrong I wonder? When I was preping the dessert I had wondered about the combination of ingredients and I felt it needed something more to bind the center ingredients. I would not make this again because for as much time as it took to prep, I would have expected a better overall end result. Kudos to the recipe though because I certainly will use the crust ingredients again in the future for other desserts."
"I made a thicker glaze,tripled it and poured it over the entire pie! DELICIOUS!!!"