Garlicky Cheddar Cheese Bisque Recipe
I came up with a cheddar cheese soup a while ago and decided to give it a boost with a variety of root vegetables. Crushed pita chips and fresh parsley make fun garnishes.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Crushed baked pita chips
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add vegetables, salt and pepper; cook and stir 7-8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Process soup in batches in a food processor until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in evaporated milk and cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Add cheese; cook and stir until cheese is blended. Top servings with crushed pita chips and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Garlicky Cheddar Cheese Bisque in Taste of Home Christmas Annual
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Garlicky Cheddar Cheese Bisque(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review