- 4 cups water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add eggplant. Boil for 5-8 minutes or until tender;drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tomato is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in milk, egg and eggplant; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Eggplant Casserole
Sort By :
"We loved this recipe. This is my second time making it in two weeks. I am using eggplant, green peppers, and tomatoes from our garden."
"I have added both green and yellow squash to this dish. It reminds me a lot of Ratatouille (which my family loves) only this recipe has no frying involved which I LOVE!!"
"I used hot Italian sausage in place of the ground beef so it had plenty of flavor from the sausage. If I used ground beef or turkey, though, I think it would need a little more spice of some kind, maybe some hot peppers or garlic or herbs. I did add a layer of cheese under the bread crumbs, and that was good, too. Instead of one big casserole, I made several smaller ones. The bread crumbs got really crispy and that texture really added to the dish. Will definitely make this again!"
"A good way to use vegetables and still be good. Sprinkling cheese over the meat and vegetables (before the bread crumbs) adds a nice flavor."
"was to bland maybe turkey would have been better but i hate turkey i even added extra to it and it didnt help"