Cheesy Eggplant Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs. Dip eggplant into eggs, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in 2 tablespoons oil for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and mushrooms in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until pepper and onion are crisp-tender. Sprinkle over eggplant. Top with tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Place cheese slices over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 318 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1609mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Aug 16, 2013
I wasn't expecting a lot from this recipe- just looking for a way to use some eggplant, mushrooms, and tomatoes I had. But my husband and I really loved it! I thought it was a bit salty (the garlic salt), but my hubby likes things salty anyways. The kids didn't like it, but no surprise there- not big tomato or mushroom fans. I used fresh chopped tomatoes and added them when I added the cheese, used shredded mozzarella, and used dried onion and no green pepper- our preference. It did seem to be a lot of work, browning the eggplant, cooking the mushrooms, then cooking for almost an hour- but it turned out very tasty.