Broiled Sirloin Steaks Recipe
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 beef top sirloin steaks (5 ounces each)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; rub over both sides of steaks.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7 minutes. Turn steaks; top with mushrooms. Broil 7-8 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°) and mushrooms are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Broiled Sirloin Steaks
Sort By :
"I agree with the other reviews - adjust the cook time. 7 minutes on one side and 6 on the other burned the juices in the pan and the steaks were tough and dry."
"The wet rub is an excellent amalgamation of flavors. I'd use it on a skirt steak but switch out the oregano and thyme for cumin and coriander. That being said, unless you want your 5 oz. sirloin well done, you'll need to reduce the cook time. We like our sirloins medium. I had four 4 oz. thick cut sirloins. I broiled 7 minutes on the first side, 5 minutes on the second side and let them rest 10 minutes afterwards. Came out just right."
"I agree with the other reviewer - flavor was nice, but steaks were chewy. I only made this once. I do, however, recommend the rest of her menu - the stuffed avocados and twice baked deviled potatoes are really good."
I haven't actually tried the recipe, but I completely understand the above comment. The broiling time (15 minutes for a lean sirloin?) seems to me destined to yeild tough meat. I would cut the broiling time down to 5 minutes per side, then give the meat a good rest before serving. I bet that would help with that toughness.craigsuemThe flavor of the marinade was good, but broiling the steaks made them tough.
"The flavor of the marinade was good, but broiling the steaks made them tough. Maybe I might use the marinade and then grill, but I wouldn't broil them again."