Broiled Sirloin Steaks Recipe
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 beef top sirloin steaks (5 ounces each)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; rub over both sides of steaks.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7 minutes. Turn steaks; top with mushrooms. Broil 7-8 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°) and mushrooms are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Broiled Sirloin Steaks
Sort By :
I agree with the other reviews - adjust the cook time. 7 minutes on one side and 6 on the other burned the juices in the pan and the steaks were tough and dry.
The wet rub is an excellent amalgamation of flavors. I'd use it on a skirt steak but switch out the oregano and thyme for cumin and coriander. That being said, unless you want your 5 oz. sirloin well done, you'll need to reduce the cook time. We like our sirloins medium. I had four 4 oz. thick cut sirloins. I broiled 7 minutes on the first side, 5 minutes on the second side and let them rest 10 minutes afterwards. Came out just right.
I agree with the other reviewer - flavor was nice, but steaks were chewy. I only made this once. I do, however, recommend the rest of her menu - the stuffed avocados and twice baked deviled potatoes are really good.
craigsuemThe flavor of the marinade was good, but broiling the steaks made them tough.
I haven't actually tried the recipe, but I completely understand the above comment. The broiling time (15 minutes for a lean sirloin?) seems to me destined to yeild tough meat. I would cut the broiling time down to 5 minutes per side, then give the meat a good rest before serving. I bet that would help with that toughness.
The flavor of the marinade was good, but broiling the steaks made them tough. Maybe I might use the marinade and then grill, but I wouldn't broil them again.