Sirloin Fried Steak
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- COUNTRY GRAVY:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Flatten steak to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into two serving-size pieces. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. Coat steaks with flour, then dip into egg mixture and coat with crumbs.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness. Remove and keep warm.
- For gravy, stir flour into pan drippings until blended, loosening browned bits. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 596 calories, 33g fat (6g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Feb 8, 2011
I made this recipe with a chicken breast and it was so tender and moist.the family loved it and now they want it all the time
Feb 6, 2011
We enjoyed this dish. I had the butcher cube the sirloin steak for me. I only used half of the flour and bread crumbs called for in the coating so that it wasn't too thick. Next time I'll use the full amount. The gravy is good.
Aug 31, 2010
My husband said it wasn't bad, but this is not something I should make all the time.
May 6, 2010
I never made chicken fried steak before but this was so good and so easy, I'm going to make it again.
Mar 2, 2010
This was an easy delicious recipe. I've been making chicken fried steak for my husband for years and never cared for it when prepared with just flour, this recipe was great!!! This is the way I'll prepare it from now on.
Feb 7, 2010
IMy family enjoyed this recipe. The gravy was awesome.
Jun 21, 2009
I made this again, but with chicken instead of beef. It turned out just as good and the gravy was fabulous!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.