Chicken-Fried Cube Steaks
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (4 cups gravy)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 8 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a shallow bowl, combine 2 cups flour and seasonings; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and evaporated milk. Remove 3-1/2 cups for gravy and set aside. Dip cube steaks into buttermilk mixture, then into flour mixture, coating well. Repeat.
- In a skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil on high. Fry steaks, a few at a time, for 5-7 minutes. Turn carefully and cook 5 minutes longer or until coating is crisp and met is no longer pink. Remove steaks and keep warm.
- Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings in the skillet; stir remaining flour into drippings until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk in reserved buttermilk mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Serve with steaks.
Aug 11, 2017
Did not look like photo, but had a decent spice factor. Came out more like fried steak than breaded steak. Did not care for the sauce.cppk on higher heat but breading stuck to the pan. Lowered heat and it still stuck to pan and took forever to cook. Had high hopes, but will look for another breaded steak recipe next time.
Apr 29, 2017
Loved the spice aspect. However, high on her stove must be considerably different than high on mine. I know better than to use a recipe that doesn't give a temp range. Live and learn.
Nov 3, 2013
It didn't come out like the picture. Seemed to be like fried steak instead of breaded country fried.
May 19, 2012
Oh it was sooooooo, goooood!!!!!!!
Feb 25, 2010
I used elk steaks for this recipe and it was fantastic! The spiciness give it a great kick and made it especialy good with game meat.
May 1, 2009
frying the steaks in oil on high heat was a big mistake, they burned quickly. Maybe it should be heated up, but then turn down to low before putting the steak in. I had a real mess.
Apr 24, 2009
I discovered this recipe about 6 months ago. it is my husband's most requested dinner and also what he wanted for his birthday!
Jan 31, 2009
Wonderful, no leftovers!