Stuffed Cube Steaks
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Cook: 35 min.
- 8 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup French salad dressing
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Pound steaks to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon salad dressing over steaks. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vegetables, broth and remaining salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Spoon 1/4 cup vegetable mixture onto each steak; roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a large nonstick skillet, brown meat rolls in oil on all sides. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and reserved cooking liquid until smooth; stir into pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Remove toothpicks. Serve with steak rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Sep 26, 2012
This was good. I just wish my cube steak had been more tender. I may need to simmer it longer. Or maybe I just bought a bad cut. Anyway the taste was very good. And I really enjoyed the stuffing.
Mar 20, 2012
This is very tasty and the extra stuffing makes a great side dish.