Crumb-Coated Cube Steaks
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup crushed saltines (about 25 crackers)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne and pepper. Dip steaks in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- For gravy, stir flour into the pan until blended. Gradually add milk, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 418 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Jun 16, 2014
Have made this several times, everyone loves it, was quick, easy and moist
Sep 2, 2012
It was a little plain and oily
Sep 7, 2011
quick, easy and delicious
Apr 19, 2010
Just made this tonight in a hurry and it went really well. My family loved it and I will make it again. I did use skim milk instead of whole throughout the recipe and it worked just fine. I did have trouble with the gravy being lumpy, but that is probably my error! I will double the gravy next time as someone else mentioned. It tasted very much like the Chicken Fried Steak we get in Texas. YUMMY!
Dec 14, 2009
These were delicious and easy.
Oct 10, 2009
My husband absolutely loves this recipe, so easy to make too.
Jun 13, 2009
Outstanding!! This one has become a staple in my recipe box!
Mar 9, 2009
These were very good!! We call them "chicken fried steak" where I come from (Alabama). I had to use ritz crackers because I didn't have saltines. Also, I will double the gravy next time so there will be a little to go with our mashed potatoes. Yum!! I felt like I was back down south for a little while!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.