Cubed Steaks Parmigiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 beef cube steaks (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat eggs and water. Place cracker crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and basil in a third bowl.
- Coat steaks with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with crumb mixture. In a large skillet, brown steaks in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Arrange steaks in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes or until thermometer reads 160°. Combine the tomato sauce, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon oregano and garlic powder; spoon over steaks. Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Top each steak with mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and remaining oregano. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 478 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 202mg cholesterol, 1116mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.
Jun 14, 2017
This was easy and pretty flavorful. It had been over 30 years since I've had cubed steaks.
Aug 27, 2016
My first reaction was, "Good but not great." I thought it tasted better as warmed up leftovers the next day. I pretty much followed the recipe, just padded a small can of tomato sauce with some ketchup so left out the sugar.
Jun 10, 2014
Excellent. The family loved it. I suggest leaving out the sugar.
Mar 20, 2013
We had this for dinner tonight and thought it was very good. I followed the directions exactly except I did not add sugar to the tomato sauce as we don't like sweet spaghetti sauce. I would definitely make this again.
Feb 28, 2013
Love his recipe. It is one of my staples.
Nov 6, 2012
Best recipe I've found for cube steak.
Mar 26, 2012
This is great. My husband loves it. My kids on thr otherhand are just picky and wont try it lol
Oct 26, 2011
This recipe is very good and was enjoyed even by my son who is a very picky eater. I used Ritz crackers in place of saltines.
Jun 24, 2011
I used progressive Italian breadcrumbs instead of saltine crackers and basil...We loved it would definitely make it again. I think I will try this with chicken next time too=)
Apr 29, 2011
This is delicious, my husband isn't one for trying something new but he loves this dish. I have made it several times now and on one occasion I used pork cube steak.....That was a NO! NO! Stick with the beef...Great Recipe
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.