- 1-1/2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. Drain. Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover. bake 20-30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Best-Ever Beans and Sausage
"I have made this recipe many times over the years. I neglected to review them...should have...! These are great. I often serve them as part of our 4th of July "picnic on the porch" for my Mom's birthday. I like to assemble the recipe and "cook" them in the slow cooker."
"The recipe name and high rating don't lie! These really are the Best-Ever Beans and Sausage! Closely followed directions but also added leftover ham. Corn-chips, salad and a PB pie made the perfect fall meal. Baked in oven or slow cooker- these really are the 'Best-Ever'! As a volunteer feild editor with Taste of Home magazine I enjoy using time tested classic recipes that can feed a hungry family."
"My grand kids loved it. I will cook this again."
"I really liked these beans! Grandma and husband did not though, which sadly means that I probably won't be making it again. Grandma says it is a weird combination of flavors. Husband says it is too sweet. You can't win 'em all!"
"made this and it tastes great..a couple people that like traditional baked beans with ground beef thrown in probably won't like it because its too much flavor for them...my grown kids who none like baked beans , including myself really liked this..i love it because it has so much flavor and i like spicy too."
"I have six picky kids and they all love this. It is a regular in my home. Best of all it makes enough that I can reheat some for lunch the next day!"
"Always take these baked beans to picnics. Everyone loves them! Very yummy!!"
"These beans are delicious. My father in law requests that I make this everytime we get together. Sometimes, I can't find spicy sausage, so I use regular sausage and sprinkle some red pepper flakes. If it gets too thick, just add 1/2 cup water. Even better the next day."
"This recipe was in TOH years ago and I have made it many times. It is really delicious with all of the different beans with spicy sausage-what's not to like!"
"Simple, tasty meal for the whole family to enjoy! I split the batch into 8x8 pans instead of one 9x13 pan to freeze one for another meal. I used a spicey pepper also, which added some extra zing to the flavor."