“In 1904, the first banana split was made here in Latrobe, Pennsylvania by David Strickler, an apprentice pharmacist at a local drug store,” says Melissa Blystone of Valley Dairy. “We still use his original formula when we make splits in our restaurants.”
- 1 medium banana, peeled and split lengthwise
- 1 scoop each vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh strawberries or 1 tablespoon strawberry ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons pineapple chunks or 1 tablespoon pineapple ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2 maraschino cherries with stems
- Place banana in a dessert dish; place scoops of ice cream between banana. Top with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as All-American Banana Split in Country Woman June/July 2007, p23
Reviews for All-American Banana Split
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review