All-American Banana Split
In 1904, the first banana split recipe was made here in Latrobe, Pennsylvania by David Strickler, an apprentice pharmacist at a local drug store. We still use his original formula when we make banana splits in our restaurants. —Melissa Blystone, Valley Dairy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 1 medium banana, peeled and split lengthwise
- 1 scoop each vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh strawberries or 1 tablespoon strawberry ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons pineapple chunks or 1 tablespoon pineapple ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2 maraschino cherries with stems
- Place banana in a dessert dish; place scoops of ice cream between banana. Top with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Originally published as The Classic Banana Split in Country Woman June/July 2007
Jul 24, 2012
My hubby loves these but they melt before we can get them home for him!!! With this receipe it don't melt!!!
Feb 9, 2012
Would've been better w/o the pineapple, but all in all it was a terrific recipe.
Jul 28, 2011
Just awesome, we love it!