Banana Split Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and pineapple. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 225 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 11, 2019
This bread has good flavor and a very nice texture. My husband really liked it! I will make this again.
Oct 6, 2018
I made a few changes. I subbed 1 cup mini chocolate chips instead of the 2 cups of regular, it's what I had on hand. The recipe calls for walnuts, and my guys are nut allergic. In some cases, you can just leave them out, but what I've found with quick breads and other baked goods, crushed Rice Krispies makes a great substitute! I love that it makes two loaves, one for now, and one to freeze. I wrapped the second loaf in Press N Seal, and put it in the freezer until it was solid. You can then vaccuum seal it, or use a ziptop freezer bag.
Feb 10, 2016
This bread was delicious , nice & moist. I substituted miniature white chips for the chocolate & chopped pecans. We loved it, almost like fruitcake, but not dry at all.
Dec 12, 2015
I love to bake quick breads for Christmas and I made this one and my family loved it.It is a great quick bread to make anytime of the year but by adding red and green cherries it makes it more festive.Nancy Foust FE
Nov 1, 2014
very easy to make...
May 9, 2014
I've been making this for at least 20 years. When I'm in a really big hurry I use a yellow or spice cake mix and just throw everything in...the cherries, chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Throw a little extra pumpkin or apple pie spice in as well. I make it for our Preacher every year and many of the Seasoned adults at our church. they ALL love it...My cookbook calls it "Bishop's Bread". My family can't wait for fall to come so I start baking more.
Mar 16, 2014
Hi everyone, captain obvious checking in. To those thinking this sweet bread is too dessert like, you are adding pineapple, chocolate and cherries. Of course it is... Don't serve WITH soup, serve after. Sorta like dessert.
Oct 24, 2013
My family didn't like this recipe as well as I thought it would. They thought it was too much like dessert. We have banana bread with soup and it didn't work for them. They said it had "too many things in it."
Oct 24, 2013
My family didn't enjoy this as much as I thought they would. They preferred a simpler version of banana bread. It was too much like a dessert. They said there were "too many things in it"!
Oct 23, 2013
YUMMMM ~ This is now my favorite banana bread recipe. So moist and just so good. I didn't add quite as many choc chips after reading another review but messed up and doubled the cherries . . . I think it was even better, but then I like cherry. Adding coconut like another reviewer suggested will be my next addition. Thanks for this recipe.