- 2 medium fresh beets
- 1 package (5 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Cut slits in beets; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 1 hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice beets. Divide the greens among salad plates; top with beets, oranges, fennel and hazelnuts.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over salads. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forWinter Beet Salad
"This was a fantastic tasting salad. Definitely worth the time to prepare. I cooked the beets a little longer than an hour just to make sure they were as tender as could be. The blend of flavors was amazing and I had rave reviews all around."