No one will ever guess That this creamy potato salad is lightened up! It's hearty and satisfying, with plenty of sausage chunks mixed in with the red potatoes and green beans. Connie Staal of Greenbrier, Arkansas sent the recipe.
Recommended: 48 Ways to Cook Fresh, Juicy Tomatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups cubed red potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, halved and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound reduced-fat fully cooked smoked sausage, quartered and sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add beans; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain and place in a bowl. Add the sausage and onion.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mayonnaise; pour over vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 13 servings.
Originally published as Warm Sausage Potato Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p46