You’re-Bacon-Me-Crazy Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or yellow mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Add salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; reserve 4 tablespoons bacon drippings. Cook and stir onion in reserved drippings until browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooked bacon for topping. Add onion, drippings, celery and remaining bacon to potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard and seasonings. Pour over potato mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 424 calories, 36g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 1147mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 4, 2019
Great recipe for potato salad. I have to admit, I almost didn't try it. I like my own potato salad the best, but decided to give yours a go. I'm glad I did. Made it just as you wrote it and it is perfect. Thanks Paul.
Dec 4, 2017
Forgot to mention I added several chopped boiled eggs.
Dec 4, 2017
Best ever potato salad!!!!!