You’re-Bacon-Me-Crazy Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or yellow mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Add salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; reserve 4 tablespoons bacon drippings. Cook and stir onion in reserved drippings until browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cooked bacon for topping. Add onion, drippings, celery and remaining bacon to potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, mustard and seasonings. Pour over potato mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 424 calories, 36g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 1147mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
May 4, 2019
Great recipe for potato salad. I have to admit, I almost didn't try it. I like my own potato salad the best, but decided to give yours a go. I'm glad I did. Made it just as you wrote it and it is perfect. Thanks Paul.
Dec 4, 2017
Forgot to mention I added several chopped boiled eggs.
Dec 4, 2017
Best ever potato salad!!!!!