Turkey Salsa Bowls with Tortilla Wedges
Delicious and nutritious, this dish was a favorite of the kids who participated in the junior chef classes I taught at my church. The recipe encouraged creativity and healthy eating as students designed their own salsa bowls using whole grains, vegetables and lean protein. —Jean Gottfried, Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) medium salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 cups torn romaine (about 1 head)
- Optional toppings: Chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, cubed avocado, Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble turkey with pepper, celery and green onions over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in salsa, beans, rice and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with oil; cut each into 8 wedges. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- To serve, divide lettuce among 8 bowls; top with turkey mixture. Serve with tortilla wedges; add toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 279 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.