Turkey Salsa Bowls with Tortilla Wedges
Delicious and nutritious, this dish was a favorite of the kids who participated in the junior chef classes I taught at my church. The recipe encouraged creativity and healthy eating as students designed their own salsa bowls using whole grains, vegetables and lean protein . —Jean Gottfried, Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) medium salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 cups torn romaine (about 1 head)
- Optional toppings: Chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, cubed avocado, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble turkey with pepper, celery and green onions over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in salsa, beans, rice and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with oil; cut each into 8 wedges. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- To serve, divide lettuce among eight bowls; top with turkey mixture. Serve with tortilla wedges and toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 279 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Turkey Salsa Bowls with Tortilla Wedges in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.