Southwest Tortilla-Turkey Skillet
"I wanted to cut back on red meat, but my husband thinks ground turkey can be dry,” says Lindsay Ludden of Omaha, Nebraska. “I think the taco seasoning and jalapeno juice in this recipe give the turkey added flavor and moistness…and he agrees!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 flour tortilla (10 inches), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno slices
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water, olives, taco seasoning and juice from jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapeno. Remove from the heat and cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 496 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1502mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Tortilla Skillet in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008