Southwest Tortilla-Turkey Skillet
"I wanted to cut back on red meat, but my husband thinks ground turkey can be dry,” says Lindsay Ludden of Omaha, Nebraska. “I think the taco seasoning and jalapeno juice in this recipe give the turkey added flavor and moistness…and he agrees!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon juice from pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 flour tortilla (10 inches), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno slices
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, water, olives, taco seasoning and juice from jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapeno. Remove from the heat and cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 565 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1693mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Tortilla Skillet in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.