The flavors in this ice cream take me back to European vacations I've enjoyed in the past. I am a big hazelnut fan, and who doesn't like chocolate? I've been caught red-handed eating Nutella out of the jar with a spoon! —Laura Majchrzak, Hunt Valley, Maryland
Recommended: 45 Recipes for Peanut Butter Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched hazelnuts, toasted
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar and salt until blended; stir in milk. Cook over medium-low heat until a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat.
- Strain into a bowl; whisk in cream and Nutella until smooth. Stir in chopped chocolate. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour custard into cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions, adding hazelnuts during the last 2 minutes of processing. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion; freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Toasted Hazelnut and Chocolate Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018