- 5 pounds chicken wings
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Arrange remaining wing pieces in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 30 minutes; drain. Turn wings; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain wings. Place one-third of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with one-third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours. Stir before serving. Yield: 2 dozen wings.
Reviews forTangy Barbecue Wings
"THIS IS THE BEST RECIPE EVER!!!!!"
"Since my sons were young I've made wings a number of times for them (who are now both mature adults). This Christmas I made this recipe, and both of them said these were the best tasting ones I've ever made. They were so easy! Two days in advance I baked them in the oven until cooked, as per the recipe, and made the sauce according to the recipe. On Christmas Day I simply put them in the crock pot as instructed. Fabulous recipe, and now a family fav to be sure!"
"I agree with KarenKeefe. It is simple if you just put the whole things into the crockpot and cook it for 8 hours. I do that all the time. It does save your time."
"The recipe is a lot of work for what could be so simple. Cut the wings apart, (pitch out the tips), brown the wing pieces in a deep skillet. Pour a mixture of 1 can of coke and 1/4 cup of ketchup and simmer until the mixture cooks down to a sweet barbeque sauce. (About 25 minutes) It's great with no work. Extremely easy for "tail-gating"."
"I skipped the oven and put these right into the crockpot.. Cooked on low for 8 hours. They came out just right! Great find!"
"I do this with drumsticks instead of wings because they are so much meatier. I put them in my slow cooker on low and when I come they're done. Also you can vary the type of sauce just the way you want, Sometimes I do Teriyaki, BBQ, Thai peanut sauce, Philippine style adobo, etc . I have time in the morning to prep vegetables to go along with the chicken and that makes dinner a quick breeze."
"These are my go to wings from now on!!!! Delish"
"I just made these for a tailgaiting party and they were delicious!! The flavor was perfect!! A keeper for sure!"
"Good recipe, but I felt there was too much vinegar. I ended up adding double the amount of honey along with 1/4 cup brown sugar. I would definitely make these again, but next time would first cut back on the amount of vinegar. I also used regular ketchup, since I wanted a little more mellow taste."