Tangerine Chicken Tagine
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds), patted dry
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large tangerines, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Combine first five ingredients; rub spice mixture over chicken until well coated. Arrange carrots, parsnips, tangerines, apricots and almonds in bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker. Place chicken breast side up on vegetables; pour in broth. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 170° and chicken is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove chicken, vegetables and fruits to a serving platter; let stand 5-10 minutes before carving chicken.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 503 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Dec 15, 2017
Soooooo good! Its asian meets indian cuisine. I served it over white rice. I used chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken but it turned out great. Needed some spice though! Like red pepper flakes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.