Tangerine Chicken Tagine
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds), patted dry
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large tangerines, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Combine first five ingredients; rub spice mixture over chicken until well coated. Arrange carrots, parsnips, tangerines, apricots and almonds in bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker. Place chicken breast side up on vegetables; pour in broth. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 170° and chicken is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove chicken, vegetables and fruits to a serving platter; let stand 5-10 minutes before carving chicken.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 503 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 15, 2017
Soooooo good! Its asian meets indian cuisine. I served it over white rice. I used chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken but it turned out great. Needed some spice though! Like red pepper flakes.