Tangerine Tossed Salad
I learned to cook from my mother when I was a young girl. I like the combination of sweet tangerines and crunchy caramelized almonds in this recipe.
Total TimePrep: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 medium tangerines or navel orange
- 6 cups torn lettuce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, cook and stir the almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the sugar is melted and the almonds are toasted. Remove from the heat. Peel and section the tangerines, reserving 1 tablespoon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, onions, tangerines and almonds. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, reserved juice and remaining sugar. Pour over salad; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 138 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Tangerine Tossed Salad in Country December/January 2005
Dec 9, 2012
This salad was amazing!
Jun 26, 2011
This was a big hit with my family. The almonds were delicious. I definitely will make this again. I have already had a family member ask for the recipe!