Sweet-Sour Kidney Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Add enough water to reserved juice to measure 1/2 cup; stir into cornstarch mixture until smooth. Add vinegar and soy sauce; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry the onion, peppers and carrot until crisp-tender. Add garlic; stir-fry 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomato and reserved pineapple. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. stir soy sauce mixture and add to bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 336 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 688mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 14g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 6, 2013
This is one of the best bean recipes I have ever eaten. My husband asked me to make it again so it is off to the store for ingredients. Excellent and easy to make. :)