Slow-Simmered Kidney Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, sliced
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 medium unpeeled red apples, cubed
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Add sausage to drippings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Stir in the bacon and sausage. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in apples. Cover and cook 2 hours longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 216 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 10, 2019
Made this ,added green peppers and garlic with vegetables and sautéed them in sausage drippings for five minutes. Other than this , followed recipe. It was easy, the house smelled like good food, taste delicious! Keeper.
Mar 15, 2018
very good!! I added 8-oz undrained can pineapple tidbits and 3-4 Tbsp of cider vinegar.
Feb 6, 2016
This is always a hit. I've been asked to specifically bring these beans to parties.I do not add the apples.
Aug 3, 2009
It was good. I might make it again. It smelled great while it was cooking. I got quite a few compliments. I'm not jumping out of my seat over this recipe, but it was okay overall.