- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium head cabbage, halved
- Prepared horseradish, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, salt and pepper. Add water just to cover; bring to a boil. Place cabbage on top of vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender. Drain. Cut cabbage into wedges; remove core. Serve meat and vegetables with horseradish if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSunday Boiled Dinner
"I have made this several times (each time with ham) and it never ceases to be great. I use the Horseradish Sauce (I found it in the Complete Guide to Cooking by Taste of Home) every time. Thank you so much."