Boiled Ham Dinner
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 piece boneless fully cooked ham (16 ounces)
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into thirds
- 4 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the ham, carrots, potatoes and onions in a Dutch oven. Place the bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, garlic and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string.
- Add to pan. Add water just to cover the ham and vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender; drain. Discard spice bag.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 312 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1300mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Oct 15, 2017
I used the spices in this recipe and cooked a bone-in shank half ham in my slow cooker with about 8 cups water. (I sliced off as much fat as I could from the ham before proceeding.) When it was warmed through, I removed it, sliced off the meat and returned the bone to the broth and let it cook a few more hours. I boiled potatoes, onions, cabbage, turnip, parsnips, and carrots in the broth in a regular pot. I will use the broth in soup! Love the taste the spices gave to the broth. Definitely a keeper...!
Mar 5, 2015
I made this in my crockpot using a precooked thick ham steak slice on the bottom and layered the ingredients as specified in recipe, except added the cabbage wedges on the top immediately. I omitted the allspice since I did not have a spice bag. I cooked in crockpot till all the vegetables were tender. Delicious! My husband loved it on this cold winter day in Maine.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.