Boiled New England Dinner
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 smoked boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh carrots, sliced lengthwise and halved
- 8 medium red potatoes. peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled, halved and sliced
- Place pork roast in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender; drain.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 9g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 19, 2018
so i was trying new recipies to get better at cooking and i want to get more involved with other styles of cooking and it was good and filling but i feel like it lacked seasons? we had to add so much different flavores to get it to taste like something. but idk if thats just cuz i am not familiar with this type of food.
Mar 5, 2013
I'm a student of the "KISS" method of cooking so I didn't add any spices. The picinic pork was salty enough and this let the true flavors of the veggies come through. If you would like it less salty I recommend you boil the ham/pork for about ten min. rapid boil then change the water, as this will render out much of the salt.
Mar 6, 2012
This is a very simple dish with LOTS of flavor just as it is. I've seen many versions that add a lot of seasoning but I don't add anything to it. Many would think it comes out bland but it really doesn't because the smoked pork has a deep salty flavor and the vegetables are tasty as they are. Being from New Hampshire, a version just as simple as this one has been a staple in our home for generations - so much so that I remember my great grandmother making it for Sunday Dinner when I was a child. Tried and true - a GREAT one pot meal you won't regret making on a cold night :)
Mar 5, 2012
Good taste!! So my family loved that!Susan
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.