Sunday Boiled Dinner
- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cabbage, halved
- Prepared horseradish, optional
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, salt and pepper. Add water just to cover; bring to a boil.
- 2. Place cabbage on top of vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Drain. Cut cabbage into wedges; remove core. Serve meat and vegetables with horseradish if desired.
1 each: 446 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1700mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 11g fiber), 21g protein.
Nov 23, 2011
I have made this several times (each time with ham) and it never ceases to be great. I use the Horseradish Sauce (I found it in the Complete Guide to Cooking by Taste of Home) every time. Thank you so much.
Nov 2, 2009
Wow! I was making it and thinking it was so simple and quick. I was beginning to worry that it would not be good. Never had rutabaga before and missed the part about my pork being smoked. So I added some liquid smoke. Very good. Ate it with the horseradish and that gave it a wonderful flavor.