Steak on a Stick
I combine molasses, mustard and soy sauce to make these the most robust kabobs you've ever tasted. You'll never miss the oil in this hearty marinade. —Jennifer Schwerin of Rockford, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freeze steak for 1-1/2 hours. Cut diagonally into 1/4-in. slices. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup into another small bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. Thread beef ribbon-style on 12 metal or soaked wooden skewers. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness(for medium, a thermometer should read 165°; well-done 180°), basting frequently with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 201 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Originally published as Steak on a Stick in Light & Tasty August/September 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.