Poor Man’s Steak
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds ground beef
- All-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- In a large bowl, combine water, cracker crumbs and salt; add beef and mix well. Press into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan lined with waxed paper. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut the meat into 12 squares. Coat each square lightly with flour. In a large skillet, cook over medium heat in oil, a few pieces at a time, until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear; drain.
- Remove waxed paper from the baking pan; spread the soup in bottom of pan. Place meat squares in a single layer over soup. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through; Spoon some soup over each meat square.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 283 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Mar 23, 2014
Proesner, the directions tell you to pan fry before baking. Mix, pat in pan, refrigerate, cut in squares, coat in flour and pay fry a few at a time.
Sep 25, 2013
I made two versions for a church potluck: one with the soup and one with barbecue sauce. The barbecue version disappeared first. Wondering if this has to be pan-fried first or if it could just be baked?
Jun 26, 2012
My husband loves hamburger meat any way that you can prepare it, so upon seeing this, I was sure he would love it. I do not care for mushroom soup but decided to give it a try for him. I was blown away!! This is absolutely delicious; mushroom soup and all. I am so hooked and it will be a regular on our table. I cut the recipe in half and took a plate to my home bound mother in law who loves it too. We even had left overs for my hubby to enjoy at lunch the following day. I did add 2 cans of soup as some suggested but would probably add 3 or 4 if I used the full recipe. The soup just makes it!
Jan 27, 2012
I didn't use the water, just some milk and 1 egg in my hamburger mix. Then I pattied them, floured them up and pre-cooked them half way. I used two cans of cream of mushroom with some milk, layered the patties on this bed of soup and spooned a dollop of soup mix over the top of each patty. Baked 20-30 minutes covered. This was 5-star for me when served with the Scalloped cheesy potatoes.
Apr 21, 2011
I needed something for supper the other night and had all the ingrediants on hand. This was suprisingly very good! i will definately make it again. The cream of mushroom needs doubled, but other than that great. it was super tender and had great flavor. i didnt refridgerate it over night, just all afternoon and it turned out fine.
Feb 26, 2009
Poor Man's Steak is very good. My mother started making this in the 70's with a cookbook recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.