Slow-Cooked Round Steak
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 6 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown meat on both sides in 4 teaspoons oil. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until lightly browned; place over beef. Combine the soup, oregano and thyme; pour over onion. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 224 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Dec 3, 2017
Very good tasting. I do not cook this for 7 hours! It would be dried up little crispies! I cook meat in skillet only until little blood can be seen then place in slowcooker for around 3-4 hours on high. Every hour I mix it around otherwise some pieces of meat may get dry. It is very tasty and easy if your home to check on, but I would never make this and leave it all day even on low. Everyone in family loves it when I do make it. Very tender meat and great tasting gravy!
Apr 20, 2017
I prepared this recipe in the morning before work and was skeptical that there was not enough liquid, and I would come home to an overcooked delight. I would have added some beef broth, milk, or water but I wanted to follow the recipe, so I left it with hesitations. Sure enough when my wife got home 6hrs later it was burnt to a crisp. I dont have a high-powered crock pot by any means. Everything touching the sides of the crock pot needed soaked and scrubbed off with a brillo pad.Gave 2 star bc it just needs some extra liquid, probably 1/2 C
Jul 31, 2012
I make this for my family often. They enjoy it!
Jan 7, 2012
The meat was very tender and the "gravy" was good. We paired it with a packet of beef flavored rice...yummy! we will def. make again...thinking about adding diced/chunky potatoes to slow cooker next time. I doubled the flour mix and made 2 packages of my meat (prolly doubled the amt. of beef) but left the rest the same. We will be freezing the leftovers for a quick meal to serve w/ minute rice for a busy night!
Feb 19, 2010
My family and neighbors have enjoyed me making this recipe. The meat just falls apart..which I love. So good!
Oct 21, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised to find the finished gravy in no need of thickening or added spices. I doubled the pepper (1/4 tsp) in the flour mixture. I also doubled the gravy mixture (the soup, oregano, and thyme), and it went so well over egg noodles. I cooked this for over 9 hours and the meat was fall-apart tender. This has become my favorite round steak recipe! -Lori in WI.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.