Asian-Style Round Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the celery, onion, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add the green peppers, tomato sauce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms; cover and cook on low 1 hour longer.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice; if desired, sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 237 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 21, 2017
While I wouldn't call this a terrible dish, I was not altogether impressed with the flavor. It was more on the bland side to my liking. I would have to add other seasonings to this if I continue with this recipe.
Aug 12, 2014
Very good recipe! Great taste. I didn't make this in the slow cooker but on top of the stove and it still came out great. Would definitely make again.
Mar 25, 2013
Excellent recipe! Steak is so tender and full of flavor. I could not find canned bean sprouts in my store, so used canned mixed asian vegetables (with sprouts). Used an orange bell pepper. Will definitely make again.
Oct 17, 2011
My entire family enjoyed this recipe. I added a little Sriracha Sauce to it and it spiced it up a tad for us.
Sep 29, 2011
I had this at a friends house and she followed the recipe to exactly the way they did....WAY TO MUCH GREEN PEPPER..I have made it twice now and only use 1/2 of a green bell pepper and it makes so much of a difference.
Aug 22, 2011
My family did not care for this recipe.
Jan 18, 2010
Even though this is a slow cooker recipe, we found the multiple steps a bit time-consuming. Plus, it definitely needs more crunch to be great stir fry.
Oct 22, 2009
I love this recipe! I like extra vegetables, so I add an extra can of bean sprouts and mushrooms (sometimes oriental vegetable can).
Jul 14, 2009
I'm thinking about adding carrots
Jul 13, 2009
This looks great! Can't wait to make it next week.!