Smothered Round Steak
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, toss beef with flour, salt and pepper. Stir in all remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. If desired, serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups beef mixture: 335 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1064mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 42g protein.
Apr 5, 2015
I didn't add the molasses, but we really enjoyed this dish. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Sep 17, 2014
I didn't add the molasses, but the dish still tasted very good.
Dec 31, 2008
I made this shortly after this issue arrived, and it was wonderful; it was even better the next day! I used the molasses, although it sounded odd, but it was really delicious. Thank goodness for recipe search, though, since I can't find the issue with this recipe in it.
Oct 21, 2008
This is delicious and so simple. I don't like canned mushrooms, so added 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms instead and it was just delicious!