Smothered Round Steak
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, toss beef with flour, salt and pepper. Stir in all remaining ingredients except noodles.
- Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. If desired, serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups beef mixture: 335 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1064mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 5, 2015
I didn't add the molasses, but we really enjoyed this dish. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Sep 17, 2014
I didn't add the molasses, but the dish still tasted very good.
Dec 31, 2008
I made this shortly after this issue arrived, and it was wonderful; it was even better the next day! I used the molasses, although it sounded odd, but it was really delicious. Thank goodness for recipe search, though, since I can't find the issue with this recipe in it.
Oct 21, 2008
This is delicious and so simple. I don't like canned mushrooms, so added 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms instead and it was just delicious!