"There's no need to brown the steak first, so you can get this main course into the oven in short order," relates Sue Call from Beech Grove, Indiana. The fork-tender results are sure to remind you of Swiss steak Grandma used to make, with lots of sauce left over for dipping.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Hot cooked noodles
- Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with the onion, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 209 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Oven Swiss Steak in Quick Cooking Premiere 1998