Louisiana Round Steak
This beefy main dish is always a big hit with the men in our family. After simmering in a slow cooker, the steak takes on a robust taste, and the filling portions are just what we love. —Megan Rohlck, Vermillion, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 2 beef top round steaks (3/4 inch thick and 1 pound each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place the sweet potatoes, onion and green pepper in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cut each steak into three serving-size pieces; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown steaks in oil in batches on both sides. Place steaks over vegetables, reserving drippings in pan.
- Add garlic to drippings; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients and remaining salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until beef is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 steak with 1-1/4 cups tomato mixture: 576 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 1031mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 71g protein.
Nov 1, 2016
Cut the steaks in half the thickness, pounded it a little to tenderizer. Added a cup extra beef broth and a cup of cooked quinoa. Put everything in Crock-Pot and cooked on high for 3.5 hours, turned out great. Will make again
Nov 20, 2015