Cajun Pepper Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, cook beef in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, green pepper, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice or noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Jun 20, 2013
Excellent recipe. Like in the first review, I tweaked it a little. I did not use bay leaves or basil . Also, If you are not a fan of really spicy foods I recommend using less cajun seasoning
Jan 14, 2008
I love this recipe and so has everyone I have ever made it for; although I tweaked it a little! I like spicy so instead of diced tomato I used a can of Rotel, I skipped the bay leaf, and basil, and used 1 tsp. of Cajun seasoning. Yum...always a hit.